It is important to realize that certain reactions and feelings are normal for women and men who have been raped. Some of these feelings are listed below:
* Anger - Both at the rapist and at the world in general and anger at one’s self for it happening.
* Dirtiness - Feeling damaged, dirty, disgusted can't seem to take enough showers/baths to feel clean.
* Distrust - Feeling suspicious of the world and being very cautious, don't trusting anyone.
* Fear - Afraid that the rapist will come back to hurt or rape you again. Afraid of others misunderstanding, fear of not being believed that it happened.
* Fright - Feeling that you want someone to be with you at all times.
* Guilt - Feeling that the assault was your fault or that you should have tried to do something different, feeling that you should have fought harder, that something is wrong.
* Sexual fear - Feeling that you wish to stop sexual relations with the significant person in your life, or that you will never enjoy sexual relations again.
* Shame and humiliation - Feeling personal violation and degradation.
* Shock and numbness - Wondering what to do and who to tell first.
* Powerlessness and helplessness - Feeling weak, that you have no control over your own life or body.